Wednesday 22 April 2020

ANZAC History Facts.

Coming up to ANZAC Day most of our activities are ANZAC Related, today we went through a list of facts to see which ones surprised us and why. Some of these facts were really unbeknownst to me and really put a perspective in. 

No.1 Fact: ANZAC Day is commemorated in France in the towns of Le Quesnoy and Longueval. I really had no idea that anywhere in France celebrated ANZAC Day, nor that France had anything to do with the war what so ever; I thought that France didn't have anything to do with the invasion of Gallipoli, 1915. I thought it was just New Zealand, Australia and Tonga and the cook islands; who helped during the war.

No.2 Fact: There is no town called “Gallipoli”. It is the name of an area. I always thought that Gallipoli was a town in Turkey, or a city and nit a Peninsula; I thought the would name the town they landed in not the name of the area take the invasion of Normandy for example; I thought that they would keep it as the name of the city, not the area.

No.3 Fact: The wearing of rosemary on ANZAC Day is done as a mark of respect for the men who never returned from Gallipoli, or indeed, later wars. The wearing of it honours the memory of those brave men. Rosemary? Who would've thought they sued rosemary to commemorate the fallen men in the Battle of Gallipoli, or later wars; I thought it was aways just a poppy and nothing else, the poppy was always the sign and I have never heard of wearing rosemary. It also goes well with beef.


What was good about this activity is that it was laid out easily, and you didn't have to go hunting for facts that everyone already knows. This had some really good facts and really unknown facts as well.

What was difficult about this activity was that some of these facts I had never heard of and wouldn't have had any clue of; so I thought a few might be lies. I also found it hard to choose 3 as there were so many to pick.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carter,
    Good to see you are questioning what you read. Did you go ahead and validate some statements by doing some research? I also was unaware of rosemary being used as a symbol, but I do appreciate your humour regarding the beef :)
    Mrs Gibson

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.