Wednesday 6 May 2020

Matariki Harakeke Weaving

This was my attempt at weaving a Harakeke Whetu star for celebrating Matariki, my initial attempt at the star was going very well until I had to put the points together, Neither I or my Mum could understand the instructions as the images they showed weren't very clear. I ended up undoing all of the star points I had made and had to restart with the points.

The 2nd attempt at making the points for the star went downhill fast. I managed to get it slightly resembling it but only by slightly winging it and altering the design. Then I pulled on the final point to finish it off and it all fell to pieces. All I had left was 4 flax bits when I decided I might try it another day.

I really enjoyed finding the flax and it was really fun, yet frustrating to weave it together. I liked the idea and concept of it yet I failed miserably. The only photo I took was when I had the 2 bases complete.

 I found it was very challenging was actually putting it together at the start, you had to wrap your hand and then knot it; it took alot of attempts to get this step correct. In the end I decided I would just try it some other time and see if I could do it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carter,
    It certainly sounds like you gave it a good go. Was the flax you used really soft? I think that might be the key to making it a lot easier to fold and manoeuvre.
    Mrs Gibson

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.